Doughnuts and I? Oh, ya. We go way back. I guess you could call us childhood friends. Growing up, doughnuts were my family’s post-church, Sunday morning treat. I especially loved going to the store to help pick out which doughnuts we’d bring home. I’m not sure if it was a premature sugar rush or simply the flood of bright colors and endless options that added to the excitement; either way, I was one happy camper. I mean, it’s every kid’s dream to basically eat sugar for breakfast, right?
Confession: it’s still my dream, I just pair it with coffee to make it seem acceptable.
This leads us to today’s tasty treats, baked doughnuts with strawberry rhubarb glaze sprinkled with poppy seeds.
While walking through the store the other day, stalks of rhubarb caught my eye. I haven’t experimented very much with this vegetable, but it seemed to be calling to me. Buy me! Buy me! I couldn’t resist their call, and my mind quickly started running through potential baking ideas. I came across this recipe from Adventures in Cooking and knew it would be a winner. The glaze balances sweet and tangy and complements the subtle flavors of the dough perfectly. Since I only had a mini doughnut pan (turns out regular ones are hard to find!), I decided to alter the dough recipe for one that would cook better in the pans and also be more cake like. The result was exactly what I was looking for…. breakfast bliss, not to mention they’re mini and adorable. Enjoy!
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, room temperature
¾ cup sugar
1 large egg + 2 egg yolks
Strawberry Rhubarb Glaze
3 Tablespoons Butter
1 cup strawberries, cut in halves
½ cup chopped rhubarb
¼ cup cream
2 heaping tablespoons white chocolate
¾ cup confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray mini-doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prep the dry ingredients by whisking together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then, with the mixer on low speed, beat in the egg and yolks one at a time. Once combined, alternately add in the flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Fill a pastry bag (or a ziplock bag with one corner cut off) with the batter and fill the doughnut pans about halfway full. You can experiment with the filling ratio depending on how plump you want the doughnuts to be, but the ideal amount is about 1 ½ teaspoons.
- Place pans in the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes until the doughnuts are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the doughnuts are done baking, you can prepare the glaze. You’ll need to bake the strawberry and rhubarb so don’t turn off your oven just yet!
- The complete glaze recipe and helpful step by step instructions can be found on Adventures in Cooking’s website
- Once doughnuts have cooled and the glaze is complete, dip doughnuts in the glaze and then sprinkle with poppy seeds